Royal Armouries sword #IX.1787.
This is a replica of a mid-15th century two-handed sword. The original sword is believed to have been excavated in France, from a ford near the site of a Battle in 1453 at Castillon-la-Bataille on the Garonne. It was purchased by the Royal Armouries in 1978 and one of a group of over eighty swords discovered in the same find spot.
Featuring a fish-tail pommel, straight guard with swollen terminals, and double-edged blade having a flattened-diamond cross-section.
This type of sword may have been in use during the last years of the Hundred Years War and swords like it were carried throughout the Wars of the Roses and into the early Tudor era.
This replica is crafted with a hand-forged blade by an experienced, skilled blacksmith using modern 1080 high-carbon steel that is fully tempered and distally tapered for proper weight distribution.
The sheath is made with a wood body and covered with leather. The tip is reinforced with a brass chape that features a traditional cut-out. At the throat, the leather extends upward and covers part of the guard at the ricasso.
Made by Windlass Steelcrafts, the original can be seen in the Royal Armouries Collection, Object Number IX.1787
Includes a certificate of authenticity on heavy stock
Windlass Classic Wax and polishing cloth are included.
- Overall: 58″
- Blade: 45″, double edge
- Guard: 11-3/8″ wide
- Blade width at ricasso 2″
- Blade is distally tapered: 11/32″ thick at guard, 11/64″ at tip
- Wt: 4 lb, 10 oz.
Made by Windlass Steelcrafts®
Official Royal Armouries Licensed Product. The Royal Armouries name is a trademark of Royal Armouries. All Rights Reserved. The Royal Armouries is the UK’s National Museum of Arms and Armour.